If you have ever been to Burlington VT, you know we have two tourist attractions. The Church Street Marketplace and The Waterfront.
While the Marketplace is about as interesting as you are going to get it, the waterfront is to put it bluntly a completely boring experience.
We also have another issue here in the state besides the lack of entertainment, and that is significant budget shortfalls.
So in early 2008 I made the following proposal to our Governor I have yet to hear back:
(Original Letter Edited For Clarity)
As a native born Vermonter of 38 years, that has been active in our community I have a very keen insight into the desires of Vermonters as well as other citizens of our region, such as people from
- True Vermonters and not simply organizations like the C.L.F. or other out-of state entities, actually want these type of diverse entertainment options in our state.
- If the Abinaki's get Federal Tribe recognition, they are going to build an casino in Swanton no doubt about it. It would be better for the State to be first with such an endeavor
- Modeling law changes to cover “off shore gambling” are much less complex then if the casino was to be built on land.
- A State run casino will prevent undesirable side issues of certain types of crime from becoming a problem.
I would recommend some certain items should a Riverboat Casino be built on the waterfront:
- No on-site parking, shuttle buses or pedestrian traffic only. Place the parking garage near
Church St, so there’s a massive influx of shoppers there.
- Casino closes at 2:00 AM just like the bars.
police officers as security and profits from the casino to cover the expansion of the department. Burlington
So if you are a Vermonter or vacation here and like the idea of a little casino action once and while, speak up and forward this idea to your legislators! Let's make this a reality!
WHOA!! MAJOR UPDATE AS OF 12/18/08 THE IDEA OF A RIVER BOAT CASINO IS OFFICIALLY ON THE LIST OF IDEAS FOR MAKING UP VT'S BUDGET SHORTFALL